Thursday 8 May 2008

Product Review: Sophie the Giraffe

I had my eyes on Sophie for awhile but I was holding off on purchasing her until I was ready to make my next big cloth diaper purchase. I showed her to my Mum (who lives in Australia) and talked about the chemicals in a lot of kids toys these days and how Sophie was made from natural rubber, etc... a few days later I was chatting with my friends from pregnancy.org about Sophie and how we were all thinking about buying one. That day I found her in the mail box! My Mum was nice enough to buy her for Desana. You can't imagine my surprise and confusion, going from thinking about buying it and finding her in the mailbox on the same day!

What's so great about Sophie? Basically she's a teething toy. She's made of natural rubber so there's no need to worried about your baby chewing on her all day long. I am worried about the chemicals in plastic and don't trust a lot of cheap plastic toys (how good is a $2 toy made in China really going to be for your baby?), so it's really nice to have something I know is safe.

I'm not going to talk too much about the chemical risks, etc. but you can read all about Sophie the Giraffe at By Nature (Yep, that site again).

Desana loves her. She took to her straight away and plays with and chews on her all the time.
Here she is on their first encounter.




And here she is a day or two ago... I think I had this shot in my previous blog post!


I've heard some concerns about the ears and knobbly bits on the head maybe being dangerous for the baby but they are actually part of what makes this such a great teething toy. I actually gave her a chew myself and there is no way a child could bite those off, I don't think I could!

Sophie is about $20 CND and well worth every dollar! I think she would make a great gift for any new or young baby. You know you are giving something that is SAFE, and that's what is most important.
Share it!
Tweet it!
"Like" Happiness is the Journey on Facebook!