Wednesday 9 February 2011

Everybody Cries


I saw a young woman crying on the bus this morning. Tell-tale red eyes, her expression crumbled when she looked down, then she would gain her composure and raise her head again. I felt bad for her, I wanted to do something but I don't know what the social conventions are. It's probably impolite to acknowledge someone's pain in a public venue, but is it inhuman to ignore someone who is in obvious distress?

I've been that woman. I remember crying on the bus on my way back from an appointment, thinking my pregnancy wasn't viable. I can imagine I may have desired some privacy but unfortunately life doesn't always allow for us to have the privacy or time to feel overwhelming emotions. I don't know how I would have reacted if someone had asked me if I was ok and if there was anything they could do.

I can't stop thinking about this, what would you have done in my situation?
Image source: D. Sharon Pruitt
Share it!
Tweet it!
"Like" Happiness is the Journey on Facebook!