Wednesday 28 July 2010

My small piece of shabby chic

Our master bedroom has been a work in progress for over a year now. It is only a few small projects short of being complete, but I find it pretty livable at this point. For my birthday in June I used some money to buy a duvet and two duvet covers with matching pillowcases (from Jysk). Prior to that we were using two big fluffy blankets, one with a wolf and one with a bear. Not at all my style but appropriately warm for Winnipeg winters. I know, it's not winter anymore! I also had no real desire to make my bed every day using either or both of those blankets. Now I'm finding it much more desirable to do so because the end result is a gorgeous looking bed!

The next step for me was getting matching bedside tables. I'd been living without one, until I decided to use one of our tv dinner trays from the living room as a makeshift table in the meantime. Then I spent weeks searching on kijiji for a pair that was either ok looking or looked as if I could slap some paint on them and would like them. You wouldn't believe how difficult it is to find TWO matching bedside tables! Apparently people only really sell one! I also set a budget of $100 for a pair.

Then this appeared and I fell, truly, madly, deeply:


A Lather Creations refurbished table by Lenore over at http://latherwriterepeat.blogspot.com/

I spent two days talking myself into it, and ultimately being talked into purchasing it by my Mum (including a majority portion of paying for it, as I was struggling to justify spending so much on one table) and my best friend who was so generous as to put up with our screaming kids while we drove across town during rush hour to pick it up.

Once I figured out that Matt really didn't care that much about having 'matching' tables, and I realised just how in love with it I was there really only was one choice to make.

Here it is in it's new home, by my bedside.


Isn't it gorgeous?


It has a perfect little spot for all the books I always have on the go, and just enough surface space on top for the book of the moment and a couple of loved items.


Now I'm highly motivated to keep our room clutter free and truly the relaxing sanctuary it should be.


What do you need in your space to make it your haven at the end of the day?
Share it!
Tweet it!
"Like" Happiness is the Journey on Facebook!