Wednesday 15 December 2010

Small Home Solution: Use Vertical Space

Living in an open concept house can present many layout challenges. The TV has always been my biggest issue. Every few months you can find me rearranging the furniture, trying in vain to make it all work better. Until now!

We purchased a mountable LCD television last Christmas and just recently got around to mounting it. Here is the before shot:


Here's the after! We debated for quite awhile about what to do with all of the tv paraphernalia, we have a blu-ray player, dvd player and our cable box. I was leaning towards rigging up some kind of shelf at the top of the wall but Matt wanted the cut-through. I'm happy that is what we decided to go with. If the next owner doesn't want to mount their tv, the shelf can work nicely to put candles and decorative items on too.

Below you can see our old tv. This was also where we had the new tv before it was mounted.


This is our living area now. The amount of floor space that was cleared up by wall mounting the television is really nice. I particularly like that the tv isn't the first thing that people see when they enter the house.

As usual the work isn't 100% complete yet, I still want to put a smaller hole through the wall behind the tv to run the cords through, then have them tucked out of site on the other side of the wall. For now they are mostly out of sight.


Of course my kids are climbers and Desana moves chairs to climb up and press buttons, but it is better than it was before. ;)

Before I go I just want to say HELLO! and thank you to all of my new subscribers! Please don't be shy, feel free to say hi by commenting and letting me know a little bit about you.  I'd love to meet you!
Share it!
Tweet it!
"Like" Happiness is the Journey on Facebook!