Wednesday 29 December 2010

What's in your closet?

Last night I read about Project 333. Project 333's basic premise is that you live with just 33 items including clothing, accessories, outerwear and shoes for 3 months. It initially sounded extremely minimal to me but after looking through my clothes last night, I've realised it really isn't that extreme!

I read through a lot of other posts about the Project and came across this guide for sorting through your closet:

Start making piles of clothes and be ruthless.
  • Pile One: I love these items. They fit me well and I wear them frequently: Keep
  • Pile Two: I want to keep this but I don’t know why
  • Pile Three: These items don’t fit me or my style: donate.
  • Pile Four: These items aren’t in good condition: trash.
Source: bemorewithless.com
I was spurred in to action and ruthlessly attacked my closet. I didn't exactly take a before picture, but take a look at this:


All that was left in the closet were roughly 25 things, half more formal or work wear and half casual wear.

I took out all of the don't-quite-fit items, the sentimental stuff that I don't wear any more, the worn out clothes, pieces I'm sick of, etc, etc, etc, and just take a look at this!


Over at bemorewithless.com there is a suggestion to box up all the sorted stuff, put it in the back of your closet and then if you haven't worn anything from the box in 30 days, donate it.

I think I would have a hard time parting with most of my clothes, but we shall see. I'm definitely pleased with the immediate results of easily being able to see my clothes selection and not having to go through it all several times struggling to find what I'm looking for.

So yes, I'm still very much on the decluttering and simplifying path, I'm just having to modify how I go about it to suit my time limitations.
Share it!
Tweet it!
"Like" Happiness is the Journey on Facebook!