Monday 13 December 2010

Gifts With Meaning

Less is more. Quality over quantity. We've heard these lines so many times that they have almost lost their meaning. What if this Christmas we made the choice to not get caught up in the mad rush of purchasing and instead take the time to carefully consider what it is that our friends and loved ones would find true joy and meaning in?

I've heard this floating around the blogosphere:

Something to wear
Something to read
Something you want
Something you need

It's usually applied to giving gifts to your children, but let's apply it to adults.

Something to wear

Bracelets - Leather cuff
Personalised jewellery can make a very meaningful gift for a man or a woman. Children's names, anniversary dates, your life slogan; on a necklace, bracelet, cuff-let or key-chain, the options really are endless!

Something to read

Book - Magazine
While these examples are specific to our family, I am sure you can relate. A new book by someone's favorite author or a pertinent magazine subscription. Books can be re-read, and with each issue of a magazine comes a reminder of how thoughtful you were in purchasing the subscription!

Something you want

Blu-ray
This year my Mother-In-Law asked us what we wanted for Christmas. I really want to learn how to sew so I asked for a beginners sewing machine. Matt had seen Planet Earth playing on a TV at work and was amazed by the film work, so that is what he asked for.

Let's get over the stigma of asking people what it is they would actually like, or what they need. It's not tacky, it's thoughtful!

Something you need

Bra - Multi-Tool
Need gifts can be very practical, there is nothing wrong with that. If something is truly needed, it will be truly appreciated. I struggled to come up with some examples as I am viewing my world through abundance-colored-glasses right now, so bare with me!

I have been breastfeeding for three years straight, perhaps it is time to treat the girls to something less practical and more racy. I'm sitting here failing to remember a time when they served as something other than a food source... huh.

Our bathroom re-model has been in progress for over a month now and I can not tell you the number of times I've heard "Where did I put that tool?!" Here perhaps is the solution, one multi-tool to rule them all.

Here are some things that could be real needs.
  • Money to contribute towards the purchase of a big ticket item such as a car seat
  • Help with a project that has been on the back burner, such as repainting or rearranging furniture
  • A gift card to their preferred hair salon or the grocery store
  • Babysit for a single parent or couple so that they can have some much deserved alone time. Why not make it a regular thing!
One of the most precious gifts I have been given is the gift of friendship; having someone tell me many times that if I need her, she's there for me. When I found myself in a dark place, needing a helping hand to pull me in to the light, I called and there she was.

The reality is that in the end we don't get to take any of this stuff with us. The thought and meaning behind a touching gift, or an act, will last longer than the gift itself.
Share it!
Tweet it!
"Like" Happiness is the Journey on Facebook!