Sunday 23 January 2011

My Closet of Less


Three weeks ago I asked What's in your closet? Since then I have been living with less than 30 items in my closet as part of Project 333. Amazingly I have found that there are a few pieces I haven't touched at all, and of the giant pile of clothes that I had removed, only two have made it back in to the closet. One being a sweater, entirely appropriate for our cold winter, and the other my skinny jeans as I've now lost enough weight to squeeze back in to them.

The advantages have been obvious. My closet is not stuffed full, I can easily see the selection I have to choose from, and funnily enough I can also tell when we are falling behind on the laundry by how empty the closet is! That was not so obvious before.

I've been taking the time to match my necklace with the outfit of the day since what I am wearing could be repetitive, but I honestly haven't felt at all frustrated about any kind of lack of options.

My only frustration has been more weather related. We are in the -30 to -40 range in Winnipeg right now, so I am dressing warmly for the bus first thing in the morning. However I spend an hour at the gym at noon and then I have to change back in to my warm clothes and return to work - phew, that's not fun! I am currently sporting a space heater under my desk and a fan at my back. Pretty silly.

Having less to wear has also made me more conscious of how things fit and how I feel in them. I've had two sets of pants tailored to fit me better.

Now if only I could get my husband to do the same with his part of the closet!

Working full-time and being a mother to two young children, I feel as if a lack of time holds me back from pursuing simplism and minimalism to the extent that I would like to. However, being able to manage small projects such as my closet gives me back somewhat of a sense of control.
Image source: Jaci Berkopec
Share it!
Tweet it!
"Like" Happiness is the Journey on Facebook!