Monday 20 September 2010

Rainbow Bookcase

Recently I was inspired by my new blogging friend Kelly's post on Bookshelf Styling. Now she's probably going to think I am a crazy stalker, but moving on...

In the ongoing saga of finishing the master bedroom, one of the last things I had left to do was put all the books back on the recently relocated bookcase. You may remember that about this time last month I blogged about a few features of our work-in-progress master bedroom.



Since then I swapped the short dresser with the tall one from the girls room, which left the bookcase part homeless because there was no way that was going in their room.


So to my side of the bed it went. Once again this is probably one of those tasks best tackled when not accompanied by a getting-in-to-everything toddler or a baby who is pulling up on everything, but what can you do?


So while Desana continued her maniacal plan of driving me crazy by playing with three electric tooth brushes at once (the day after she kept me up until 3am that was working very well), and Freya risked bodily harm by pulling up on the bookcase, I was very happy when Matt came home from work sick. Happy for me, not for him! At first glance he informed me I was going about it the wrong way (he was right), there was indeed not enough room for the tallest books on the top shelf, and I had to switch some things around. But temporarily child-free I got it done.


Being completely frank here, I am not sure anyone would even notice that the books were sorted by color unless it was pointed out. I wonder if this look is best achieved on a much larger scale or with the inclusion of fake book jackets created with bright colors in mind.

But anyhow, here it is. I want to sort the color sections a little bit more so there is a consistency in height, but from top to bottom here is how it goes (in case it's not obvious): Blue, Green, Yellow/Cream, Black, Grey, White, Purple, Pink, Orange, Red, Brown. Or close enough! What most surprised me was just how many of the books had black or white spines!


Now be honest, you are squinting at the picture and trying to read some of the book titles, aren't you?!
Sticking with the theme of working with what you have, and finding or creating beauty from the ordinary, I believe this fits right in. If nothing else I get a little satisfaction from seeing the pretty colors next to my bed.
Share it!
Tweet it!
"Like" Happiness is the Journey on Facebook!