Friday 8 October 2010

Basement Decluttering: Take Stock

Image source: orangeacid
Yesterday I took the day off from decluttering. I spent a couple of hours having delightful girl talk with my best friend Shawna and we checked out the newly opened local thrift shop.

On and off throughout the day I thought about spending some time in the basement, but nothing was calling to me. I think part of the reason for that is that I am concerned that if I'm not careful I will just move the mess from downstairs up in to the upstairs. My biggest reason for concern about that is of course the ever annoying giant and overflowing toolbox that is living next to our bedroom door. There isn't much I can do about that, although the temptation to sort and put away everything is growing, the ensuing argument isn't really worth the hassle. Maybe I will end up boxing or bagging up all the overflowing stuff and stashing it back in the basement for awhile. At least then it will be in one place and not infiltrating my upstairs.

My point is, just make sure you aren't moving the mess from one place to another, because that's no solution at all. Secondly, take a step back to look at what you have accomplished. Frankly, I've only put in probably about an hours worth of work so far and I would say that about 1/4 of the basement is 75% done. That is pretty impressive!

I think it's just a matter of deciding you are going to do it, then doing it.

I have two upcoming plans for the basement. The first is getting all the donate-able pieces out and having Matt take them to a charity. The second is gathering up all the old electronics (monitors, scanner, paper shredder) and taking them to an electronic recycling depot. I think I will be amazed by the amount of space completing those two steps will clear up.

In other news Matt and I are battling over the time line for a massive change in our living space. I operate on a timeline of 'let's get it done - yesterday!' and Matt operates on 'we'll do it tomorrow' (as in, tomorrow never comes). It's incredibly frustrating. I know it's not only frustrating for me either, but I have no idea how to bridge the gap. Any suggestions?

I'll try be back again later for a non-decluttering post! I'm worried I'm boring you all with these. :)
Share it!
Tweet it!
"Like" Happiness is the Journey on Facebook!