Monday 25 October 2010

The Girls Bedroom Reveal

Back in July I shared with you some pictures of what the girls room looked like, and some of my thoughts on how it could be improved. A lot has changed in the last three months! I'm happy to say that the girls room is pretty much done. Of course, a house is an evolving entity so there's always something else to change or improve on. But I actually feel happy with their room now. Anyway, take a look!


My original plan was to paint the room purple (of course), but it turned out my best friend Shawna had a can of left over paint from some work she'd been doing in her house and she was happy to give it to me. Which reminds me, I still owe her $10!

When uppercase living was having a big sale I purchased a few things with the room in mind. On the side of the closet (the first wall you see coming in to the room) I put up the 'butterfly kisses & ladybug hugs' expression. The plan is to build some wall book shelves beneath that somewhere down the line. Maybe with some of their Christmas/birthday money in a couple of months.


Just to the right of the door is Desana's bed. There's a big expanse of wall (that I will strive to keep pencil, crayon and marker free...) that is the perfect place for some unique artwork. Today I've spent and will continue to spend many happy hours scouring etsy until I come across just the right thing. Some magic combination of fairies, dinosaurs, robots and princesses! I've found some amazing pieces that I may share with you soon.



The wall between the girls beds was the perfect place for a large expression, so I chose 'Life is Beautiful', because my girls certainly are, and it's a lovely reminder. Also if we ever end up staging the room with a double-queen size bed, this would be centered above it.


Next up is Freya's crib and the rocker recliner for me to use to get her to sleep in there (yeah right). I decided to divide the gorgeous Rachel Ashwell Shabby Chic curtain panels that Mum sent me so I could keep one on the closet and have a matching one on the window. I think it has lightened up the feel of the room so much (consider there was a navy blue curtain there before). Our house is so close to the neighbours that the quality and amount of light that comes in to the room is so little, so for now the pale curtain isn't an issue.

I'm also thinking about possibly putting up some artwork on either side of the window. Just some finishing touches... accessories!


Next up is the closet. The advantage of not having doors on it is that it frees up a little floor space, and we can use the closet light as a night light for Desana when she's feeling scared. She's reached the monster in the closet stage...


Last month Matt installed the hidden shelving inside the closet for me, which has been a huge life saver in terms of having somewhere to actually put all the toys! Not to mention, keeping them out of sight at the end of the day. The closet is over our part basement stairs, thus the strange shape. There is a very deep shelf at the back that I'm using to store rubbermaids with the clothes the girls are outgrowing, and the next size up. At the front there's a stack of heavy blankets, and the rubber drawers have various socks and bibs, etc.

That's my girls room! What do you think? It's a vast improvement on the original gloomy space, that's for sure.

Now I'm just going to throw in some bonus pictures of my gorgeous little girls. :)





My Dad and Step-Mum are flying in on Wednesday night (from Australia!) so this may be another fairly quiet week of blogging. We'll be playing the role of tourists for the week they are here, so at the very least you can look forward to seeing lots of pictures of us out and about Winnipeg! We haven't seen them since Matt and I flew here in March of 2004, and they've not met the girls, so it's going to be fun.

Dad said he's looking forward to meeting the grown-up Amy. It gave me a laugh but it's kind of true too, I was only 19 when I moved here - technically a teenager!

Share it!
Tweet it!
"Like" Happiness is the Journey on Facebook!