Thursday 14 October 2010

Family Heirloom Jewellery

We have been working on some major changes to the design dilemma I showed you a few weeks ago. It has caused major upheaval in the house but that is temporary. I think the biggest positive is that my husband might be gaining a new appreciation for how tidy I usually like everything to be. It was funny to see him being the one freaking out about the mess for a change! I'm looking forward to sharing the changes with you all almost as much as I'm looking forward to having my tidy house back.

Today I have some pretty (old) things to share with you. My Mum mailed these over to me from Australia. 

We think most of the pieces belonged to my Great Grandmother who was the mother of my maternal Grandfather.


The earrings are for non-pierced ears. Growing up we weren't allowed to have our ears pierced until we were 12 years old, so I remember wearing these earrings as a little girl.


I am not a fan of gold (prefering white gold) but I think the shape of the pendant is beautiful, I see it as an infinity symbol.


The watch is a delicate little piece, even prettier in person.

The detailing on the above brooch is very interesting to look at. While none of the pieces are really things I would wear, they are the kind of thing you hold on to because they've been in the family for awhile. I can see maybe putting them in a shadow box as a decorative piece.

What do you do with hand-me-down pieces of family jewellery that aren't your style?
Share it!
Tweet it!
"Like" Happiness is the Journey on Facebook!