Tuesday 28 September 2010

Triple Chocolate Muffins

Yesterday I whipped up a batch of these chocolate muffins, thus bringing to life my fifth revision of the recipe. They are pretty yummy now, but as with everything in life there is always room for improvement!



Triple Chocolate Muffins (Makes 6-12*)

Ingredients

1/2 cup chocolate chips
1/2 cup baking butter

2 eggs
3/4 cup whole milk
3/4 cup sour cream
3/4 cup brown sugar
1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract

1 2/3 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup cocoa
1 cup chocolate chips
  1. Preheat the oven to 400F. Spray the muffin tray with cooking spray.
  2. Melt the 1/2 cup of chocolate chips and 1/3 cup of butter together in a small saucepan over low heat, mixing regularly. Set aside to cool for a few minutes.
  3. In a small bowl lightly beat the eggs. To the eggs add the chocolate-butter mixture and mix with milk, sour cream, sugar, and vanilla until well combined.
  4. In a large bowl, stir together flour, soda, salt and cocoa. Make a well in the center of dry ingredients, add wet ingredients and stir until just combined. Stir in the remaining cup of chocolate chips. Spoon batter in to the muffin tray.
  5. Bake at 400F for 20 minutes or until a toothpick or fork inserted in the center of a muffin comes out clean. Remove muffin tray from oven and let sit for 5 minutes before placing muffins on a wire rack to cool. Serve warm or cooled.
*Yesterday the batch I made was 10 small-regular sized muffins. You could probably make 6 large muffins and bake them for an additional 5 minutes, or make 12 small muffins and bake them for 15-20 minutes. Just remember the smaller the muffin the less cooking time, and vice versa.I like to convert my bread and muffin recipes to mini-muffins as they are a great snack size for kids, and the cooking time for them is significantly less.

My preference is to eat the muffins fresh out of the oven while the chocolate is all melted, or to reheat them in the microwave for 15-20 seconds. I do the majority of my baking using whole-wheat flour, which hardly makes up for the pure chocolate wickedness of this recipe but I thought it was worth mentioning. ;)

I would LOVE to hear if you try my recipe and any suggestions or changes that you made!

P.S. I will still hopefully find the time to share my design dilemma with you, if not today then definitely tomorrow.
Share it!
Tweet it!
"Like" Happiness is the Journey on Facebook!