Wednesday 1 September 2010

Organising under the sink and other randomness

Last night I was browsing through the blogosphere (did I really just say that?) when I came across House of Grace.

She has tons of posts on getting organised, which is one of my favorite topics. I was inspired by her under the sink makeover and decided to tackle under mine again. I've done so various times in the past but it was still not exactly functional. My kitchen needs to be gutted but it is all I've got for now.

Before:

Garbage bin, compost bin, 2 tupperware jugs & lids, one large george foreman grill, one electric mixer, 1 dishrack, misc. cleaning brushes, 1 roll of plastic garbage bags, 1 salad spinner
After:

Garbage bin, compost bin, 2 tupperware jugs with lids, 1 salad spinner, 1 plastic tub holding misc. norwex cleaning cloths, garbage bag roll, two containers of small dry erase vinyl, ziploc bags... and Oreo the cat
In the theme of working with what you have, I remembered a small plastic container I'd stashed in the basement that used to be Athena's first cage. I got Matt to bring it upstairs and put all the misc. smallish stuff in there. I ended up adding a few things that I hadn't previously being kept under there, just because it made sense to have my dishwashing cloths close at hand.

A lot of the stuff stayed essentially the same, but I moved out a few things and put them elsewhere. The dishrack is going to go down in to the basement for awhile. I've been going without it for a couple of months now. I find that not having one (and not having a working dishwasher) kind of helps me stay on top of the dishes.

One thing that Bonnie at House of Grace did that I haven't yet is make bag holders out of old cans. We don't drink coffee so I have to wait until we get through iced tea, hot chocolate or lemonade. I decided I'm going to make two bag holders, one for plastic bags and the other for bread bags since I save both. One of the great things about using that sort of organiser is that it really limits the amount of bags you keep, and when you open the cupboard door they don't explode out at you. Yeah, speaking from personal experience!

We are a couple of days in to Matt's holidays now. Unfortunately the weather has been pretty bad and he hasn't been able to do any outside work. Please pray that the sun comes back! The good thing is that he's been doing things inside that I didn't expect to get done.

Remember my half painted living room wall?


It's not half-painted any more!


Remember my master bedroom with no baseboards? First I added an uppercase living quote, and now...


The baseboards are being installed! Matt says it would have been so much easier to do this job before we moved all the furniture into the room (note to any readers who are contemplating baseboard). Next we (he!) will install the four switch covers and we (possibly me) will do the paint touch-ups and it will be DONE! Until I decide to change something else anyway...

Run away!!!
Desana has been having fun having her Daddy around more. As you can see Daddy's are very good at holding pencils, even when sleeping.


Freya is pulling up on things now. She crawls over to me and pulls up on the couch when she wants to nurse or be held! Last night she almost climbed inside a cupboard.

In other news, I'm working on getting up the courage to start blogging about my weightloss. I just finished a one month (August) challenge on a private forum and lost 9.6lbs this past month. Now I'm 30lbs lighter than my heaviest weight, 7lbs below my pre-pregnancy weight with Freya, and 8lbs from my pre-pregnancy weight with Desana. Still roughly a trillion lbs away from my healthy weight range.
Share it!
Tweet it!
"Like" Happiness is the Journey on Facebook!