Monday 27 September 2010

Something Borrowed: Body Type - Typographical Tattoos

I've been fascinated by tattoos for longer than I can remember. My love of typography goes back to my teenage years when I had an online diary thats design contained a mix of lines from songs that expressed who I was at the time. It was an expressive and personally intriguing art form that has appealed to me ever since.
With the growing cultural acceptance of tattoos so has my interest grown in permanently recording something that may be otherwise invisible to the naked eye. When I stumbled across the book Body Type by Ina Saltz I added it to my huge list of book requests from our local library, and it came in a few days later.


It is filled with pictures of text tattoos and little descriptions on the stories behind them. One thing I realised as I looked through it was that although I've considered getting various tattoos I've always been more focused on the image or words than what font would be used. I definitely have some decided tastes about that now.
I have three tattoos concepts in mind now, with as yet no actual drawing to accompany them.
  • A tattoo that symbolises my dual Australian and Canadian citizenship (once I become a Canadian citizen). My initial idea was to get a tattoo in the shape of Australia with Tasmania being in the shape of a maple leaf.
  • A tattoo that symbolises me as a mother, something inbetween the national breastfeeding symbol and venus of willendorf.
  • A tattoo that is much like this blog, a quote on Happiness. I haven't decided on the specific words yet.
I used to enjoy watching shows like Miami Ink and LA Ink, but lately LA Ink seems to be more about the interpersonal drama with less focus on the tattoo art form and the stories of the people receiving them. Gotta love scripted 'reality' tv!

How about you? Is getting a tattoo something you would ever consider, or do you already have one?
Share it!
Tweet it!
"Like" Happiness is the Journey on Facebook!