Friday 10 September 2010

Reading: Romancing the Ordinary

I am a big fan of our public library system. You can access it online and browse through dozens of pages of all the newly purchased books, place requests on those books and then have them delivered to your local library for pick-up. I went a little crazy with the requesting not to long ago and discovered that 35 is the max amount of requests you can have at once. Yep, I hit 35! Since then I occasionally sneak Matt's library card to make requests on his as well. He really enjoys picking up books with titles such as 'Pretty Plus: How to Look Sexy, Sensational, and Successful, No Matter What You Weigh', 'Dear Fatty', 'Ina May's Guide to Breastfeeding', 'Room of Her Own: Women's Personal Spaces, etc. Now when I ask him to swing by the library to pick up my holds, he asks me how embarrassing the books are!

My current read is Romancing the Ordinary by Sarah Ban Breathnach.


What a wonderful book. Sarah takes you on a journey of the senses, sight, sound, taste, touch and two additional senses she says that women have - knowing, and wonder. She reminds you of all the things you've stopped noticing. When I think about it I don't take the time to really savour things like a nice breeze, a slowly sipped cup of tea, the comfort of freshly washed sheets, and so much more. It really is all about 'Romancing the Ordinary'.

I've had this book out from the library for a couple of months. I've renewed it three times and will sadly have to part with it by the end of the month. It's out of print so I am going to buy it off ebay or somewhere similar somewhere down the line. I think it's the kind of book that's nice to pick up and read once in awhile, or every day if you make the time. There's always some thing to be taken away from it.
Share it!
Tweet it!
"Like" Happiness is the Journey on Facebook!