Friday 3 September 2010

I like... country tables

I've decided to start up a new irregular feature. By irregular I mean that I won't be doing it on a particular day of the week, every week, maybe just when the mood strikes me.

You probably remember my previously mentioning the concept of an illustrated discovery journal (IDJ). I have an IDJ folder on my computer where I save images that I come across as I browse. Those things that really appeal to or call me, for whatever reason. I've never had unlimited money (who has?) to go out and buy the things I really like, until recently when I started being able to find those things by looking and looking, then looking some more on kijiji, until just what I was looking for appeared with a price tag I could smile at.


Snapshot of my Illustrated Discovery Journal photo folder
I've found that by saving the images of things I like, I'm discovering what it is I like. That may sound like a pretty basic concept for me to be grasping, but at 26 years of age I can't clearly define my sense of style or what kind of decor I like. Now my IDJ is sure helping me get there!

Anyhow, since I've been blathering on for quite awhile about this, to get us started I'm going to show you just one thing that has really appealed to me lately. :)

I like... country tables

A few days ago I read this post over at Thrifty Decor Chick about a little table she'd been working on. Instantly every blog I read seemed to have one of these tables! I realised that they were conjuring up a childhood memory of my Great Grandparents kitchen table. My Dad cut it down to a size that worked in our small family kitchen. It had a beautiful stained top with white gorgeous spindled legs beneath. LOVE. (Hey Mum, whatever happened to that table?) So I did what naturally came next and searched kijiji for 'country'. This is what I found:

I have neither the room or the money (the seller is asking for $125) to buy this particular table right now, so I have saved these pictures to remember that this is something that really called to me as being beautiful. I can tell when that happens because my heart goes all aflutter and I hear myself making the same noise you make when you taste something very yummy - Mmmm!

Something this kind of size is appealing to me as a little desk to sit at with my laptop. One of my biggest surprises lately has been discovering that after many years of despising it, I actually like blue now. I think it all goes back to my beautiful bedside table.

One of the things I've been working on is not getting all worked up when I see something I want but can't have. I've reached the point where (most of the time) I'm able to look at something like that table and appreciate it without becoming dejected over not being able to make it mine. It has made life so much easier being able to accept what I already have without feeling envious over what I don't have. What I have is more than enough!
Share it!
Tweet it!
"Like" Happiness is the Journey on Facebook!