Thursday 30 September 2010

The generousity of strangers


This morning I spent a few hours with my best friend. That's always a recharge for me (hopefully not too much of a drain for her) as I get to talk to someone who 'gets' it. I'm not entirely comfortable with telling everyone when I am struggling with depression, because the reality is that I struggle a lot! I try to put on a brave face and she has told me in the past that once I start complaining about something, it must be bad. It's just nice to have someone to complain to!

I'm feeling grateful today because one of the things I put out in the universe has come back to me, in this case I've received much more than I gave! Back during the free giveaway weekend I decided to put out several bags of baby/toddler girls clothes since although I had been trying to sell them on kijiji, they weren't moving. A lady from down the street came by and picked them up. Since then my Mother-In-Law picked up some secondhand clothes for Desana while she was on vacation, and today Shawna brought over TONS of clothes that she was given by another friend. She sorted through and chose what she wanted, then I went through and picked what I wanted, and there were still enough clothes left to go to another family.

I feel so grateful because Desana is outgrowing everything again, and it's nice for Freya to have a few pieces that are 'new' to us. It also helps me look at what we have with a new eye. Reality is, unless you only do your laundry every two or three weeks, your child probably doesn't need two dozen short sleeved shirts, two dozen long sleeved shirts and two dozen pairs of pants. It's a difficult concept for us to grasp these days, but a person can get by with only a few pieces of clothing.

Don't the experts say we wear 20% of our wardrobe 80% of the time? I think that probably applies to children's clothes as well. I know I have my favorites, the colors I love or love to see them in, the pieces I find particularly adorable. So many things just get passed over, but there they sit hanging in the closet, or buried in the back of the dresser drawer when they could be used by another family, another child.

Something to consider. Are you struggling to find clothes for your kids to wear just because there's way too much in their closet? Pay it forward. Although I always appreciate receiving new clothes for the girls, I honestly prefer to receive hand-me-downs or buy second hand because it is such a huge saving, and the little money I do have or receive could be put towards other things. My kids don't wear rags, but they don't wear princess dresses all day long either and that's just fine.


Image source: Nanagyei
Share it!
Tweet it!
"Like" Happiness is the Journey on Facebook!